Friday 30 December 2011

My Top 6 Tweeters of 2011

Top 6? Yes, because I wrote it and realised I'd forgotten one. These were my favourite tweeters of the year, although anyone I follow provides entertainment.

@suttonnick

For services to providing the headlines of tomorrow’s newspapers the night before we can buy them. We must hope that this is part of his job – a current affairs producer for BBC Radio I think – because if I showed his dedication to providing Twitter with front and back pages on a nightly basis five days a week either I, or my wife, would get heartily sick of it.

@AndrewSteele

A Beijing Olympic 400m athlete, no less. Unfortunately for him since that appearance in China his career has been blighted by illness and injury that he still struggles to recover from as London approaches. Despite all this, his feed is full of dry humour and optimism and is well worth a follow.

@NickMotown

Consistently funny, coming up with 140 characters of witty wordplay on an almost daily basis. There are plenty that attempt this and it’s bloomin’ hard. I’ve had a go and managed one day (although it WAS a goodun). Follow, and watch how many you RT.

@katefruitnveg

A local tweeter for local (Glossop) people whose everyday life tickled me more than any other this year. ‘Tis a shame she is currently on a Twitter break. Look forward to her returning.

@Ca1_

My favourite story of the year. Callum Saunders was simply telling his mate that he was coming to Glossop to check on areas to live for a planned move North from London when his twitter feed was pounced upon by nosey-but- friendly Glossopians offering advice on houses, pubs, food and which Manchester club to follow. Despite a traditional High Peak drenching on their first visit, he and wife (@lucaluxes) still moved here, immersing themselves in the town, even supporting @glossopnorthend. A welcome addition to Glossop, and you can’t hear his funny southern accent on Twitter.

@yesitsnumberone

There have been many tweeters who have enhanced my obession with Top of the Pops 1976, not least the @totp1976 user itself. But @yesitsnumberone takes that obsession to new levels. Not just live tweeting the show, he writes a blog on the programme every week, and was the prompter for my best tweet of the year which combined 'Mississippi' by Pussycat and Chris Eubank. If you like your pop nostalgia, you must follow this account.

Other twitter highlights

Being retweeted by a Doctor Who writer was good, but a retweet by Wincey Willis was the bizarre highlight. Wincey Willis! It is for surreal moments like this that I continue to love the Twitter.

No comments: