Sunday 17 April 2011

Semi Final Memories

Well, this has been an extraordinary FA Cup year for me. TWO lifetime ambitions achieved. First there was my surreptitious appearance on the Glossop North End bench right back in the Extra Preliminary Round in the second week of August (http://haggisinwonderland.blogspot.com/2010/08/one-for-grandchildren.html), and now, after I generation of waiting, I have finally seen Manchester City reach an FA Cup final.

Over the years City have had a propensity to building us up and then letting us down, and everything was set up for it to happen again, because it had been an extraordinary day. Setting off early down the M6, it was a sea of blue cars, minibuses and coaches. I couldn't work out if it was proof that the cliché of only City fans coming from Manchester was proving true, or if we were just more giddy than them.

Warwick services was the same. As former City goalkeeper Alex Williams happily darted from one group of fans to the other wishing them well, United fans were keeping themselves to themselves. The party atmosphere was building, and us blues know that the team has often been the ultimate pooper.

For 20-25 minutes it looked like that be the case, and Berbatov underlined accusations of him being just a flat track bully by missing two gilt edged chances. From there though, City first were the equals of their opponents, and then after the break were superior. The win was well deserved, but never celebrated until the final whistle went.

Driving back, I haven't enjoyed a 6-0-6 as much since Danny Baker was in his pomp. Call after call of United fan ringing in to complain about the team selection, the FA, the referee...everything but the traffic...and all to much hilarity in the front of the car.

From a personal point of view, days like this have been all I ever wanted from being a City fan. I would take an FA Cup final over 4th place in the league any season. Football's role is to make you feel alive and over the course of a league campaign you'll only get that a few times. In cup competitions, win or lose, you feel something, whether it be extremes of disappointment or pleasure.

I love the bloody FA Cup. I hope I can get a ticket for the final, not least because it means I'll have a story to tell from the Extra Preliminary Round right through to the denouement.

No comments: